Tuesday, July 29, 2008

My Introduction To Snuff...

No, not the movies! This stuff: Wikipedia: Snuff


When I was wee, I would see my Dad take out this little tin of stuff that he kept in his pocket, take the lid off and take a pinch of whatever was inside... which he'd then put to his nostril and sniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiff, before putting the lid back on, and the tin returned to his pooch.

Well, this fascinated a wee selkie, so one day roughly the following conversation was carried out:

Ally: Daddy?
Dad: Yes?
A: What's that stuff?
D: It's snuff
A: Can I have a smell?
D: Okay, but take ca...


He never got to finish his sentence, because I had stuck my nose above the tin he was holding out, and taken a HUGE sniff in!

Now, snuff in those days didn't come in all those faffy fruit flavours that Wikipedia lists - It was good old-fashioned menthol & camphor!

Dad says the sun was shining just right, and he saw this stream of brown particles travelling between the tin and my nose... and seconds later I was coughing, sneezing, and my eyes were watering like mad!


I NEVER asked to try his snuff again!

No comments: